Life-Threatening Skin Reaction Linked to Clobazam
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is requiring a label update for all forms of the anti-seizure drug clobazam following reports of severe skin reactions in patients.
Clobazam Linked to Severe Skin Reactions
- According to the MedPage Today, 20 patients worldwide have developed Steven-Johnson syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis after taking the drug.
- The reactions have resulted in one patient going blind and all 20 patients being hospitalized including five children in the U.S.
- Clobazam (brand names Frisium, Urbanol and Onfi) is used in the treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and is approved for use in adults and children as young as two.
- Labels will not be required to warn of the life-threatening skin reactions and advise that treatment with clobazam be stopped at the first sign of skin rash.
- Patients taking clobazam are urged to seek immediate medical attention should they notice hives, blisters or skin peeling.
About Steven-Johnson Syndrome
- Steven-Johnson syndrome is a potentially fatal condition that occurs when the skin and mucous membranes react severely to infection or medication.
- The condition is marked by flu-like symptoms followed by a painful red or purple rash. The rash then begins to spread and blister resulting in the top layer of skin dying and shedding.
- Death can occur in up to 15 percent of untreated cases.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57