Local Nueces County Fireworks News for 2011
4th of July weekend is a time to celebrate, and what better way than with fireworks, right? Wrong. It is illegal to possess or shoot fireworks in Corpus Christi city limits, and for good reason- fireworks accidents led to thousands of injuries and hundreds of thousands of dollars in property damage last year. Local statistics provided by the City of Corpus Christi, national statistics from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- In 2010, about 8,600 consumers ended up in hospital emergency rooms due to injuries involving legal and illegal fireworks.
- During the 30 days surrounding July 4- firecrackers, bottle rockets, and sparklers sent about 1,900 injured consumers to emergency rooms.
- Burns and lacerations to the hands, face, and head were the most frequently reported injuries.
- About 40% of the injuries that occurred during this time period were related to firecrackers, bottle rockets, and sparklers.
- 40% of estimated injuries occurred to children younger than 15 years of age.
- Last year there were more than 500 house fires in Texas due to fireworks.
- Corpus Christi loses two to three houses every year to fireworks.
June 14, 2011- Nueces County Commissioners ban aerial fireworks in unincorporated areas of the county due to drought conditions.
- “Unincorporated Areas” are areas of the county that are not part of a city
- Violators may be fined up to $500
All fireworks are banned inside the city limits of Corpus Christi.
- All fireworks, regardless of size (including sparklers) are illegal within 5,000 feet of city
- Fireworks found in the city or within 5,000 feet of the city limits will be confiscated
- Violators may be fined up to $2000
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, trucking accidents, maritime accidents, and other catastrophic accidents. Contact our offices day or night, 24/7.