The Largest Personal Injury Firm in Texas. Serving Clients Nationwide.
Corpus Christi 361-985-0600 San Antonio 210-656-1000 Nationwide Toll Free 888-314-9945
Contact us 24/7

Man Comatose Following E-Cigarette Explosion

View all
Alexandrea Messner2 years ago

A young man is in critical condition after his e-cigarette blew up as he was using it on Monday. His family wants to share his story so that other can understand the dangers of using such devices. 

About the E-Cigarette Explosion

According to FOX News, Evan Spahlinger, 21, was placed in a medically induced coma to help his body recover and alleviate pain after his e-cigarette exploded in his face. He was found on the floor of his home, covered by soot.

His sister, Ema Richardson, told reporters, “I was laying in bed with my 2-year-old and I heard an explosion, then I started smelling burning, smoke and fire. I found my bother not breathing, with his whole face burned and his neck burned and trying to throw up a little or maybe he was gasping for air, so I called 911.”

Spahlinger sustained internal and external burn injuries as well as damage to his lungs.

“We want people to know the risk and dangers. Had Evan of known, maybe he wouldn’t have chosen to smoke the electronic cigarette,” she said.Spalinger was first transported to NCH Downtown Naples Hospital and then to a Miami Hospital where he is currently recovering.

Electronic Cigarette Use on the Rise

Use of electronic cigarettes is on the rise, especially among teenagers and young adults.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) e-cigarette use among middle and high school students tripled between 2013 and 2014.

The U.S. Fire Administration, 25 separate instances of e-cigarette fires and explosions were recorded between 2009 and August 2014.

Most instances of explosion and fire occurred while the device was charging.


Contact Us for a FREE Case Review

888-314-9945 •