Man Involved in Viral DUI Confession Video Heads to Court
According to various news outlets, 22-year old Matthew Cordle, a resident of Powel, Ohio will have his court hearing delayed until Wednesday. Cordle is facing charges for a drunken driving accident he caused, which resulted in the death of Mr. Vincent Canzani. Canzani, age 61, was hit head-on by Cordle, who was driving in the wrong direction of traffic.
DUI Confession Goes Viral
‘My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22nd, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani. This video will act as my confession.’ – Matthew Cordle in video posted on Because I Said I Would.
- Cordle has gained a large amount of attention for his video, “I Killed a Man”, which has gone viral on the popular website YouTube , which has had nearly 2 million views.
- In the video, Cordle retraces the steps he took prior to the fatal accident. In his own words, Cordle explains that after a night of heavy drinking he “completely blacked out, decided to go home”. Driving in the wrong direction, he struck Canzani’s vehicle.
- Cordle also reveals that when he gets charged he will “take full responsibility for everything I've done to Vincent and his family”.
- Finally, Cordle makes a plea to public, to avoid drinking and driving.
Court Hearing Scheduled in DUI Case
- According to Fox News, Cordle’s hearing was scheduled for Tuesday, but when the judge learned of the type of hearing that the defendant requested, she chose not to continue with the hearing.
- The judge contended that there were errors in the court proceedings, and that the type of hearing that was requested was normally heard on Wednesdays.
- The lawyer’s representing Cordle, are reporting that they do intended to follow through with their client’s wish to plead guilty.
Driving While Intoxicated Statistics
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- In 2010, 10,228 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
- Of the 1,210 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2010, 211 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
- In 2010, over 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. That's one percent of the 112 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year
Contact an Experienced DUI/DWI Accident Attorney
If you suspect you have been injured because of a drunk driver, contact an attorney with the experience and aggressiveness to handle your case. Contact Thomas J. Henry. We will ensure that you get the full monetary compensation you deserve. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends and we represent clients/victims all over the country.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million