Man Severely Injured in AmeriGas Explosion Accident in Orlando
Details about the Gas Explosion in Orlando
According to the Orlando Sentinel, a gas company technician has suffered burns over half of his body after an explosion in a home on the southeast side of Orlando.
The AmeriGas worker, who has not been identified, was working on the stove at a home in Wittenberg Way when the incident occurred on the morning on January 6.
Preliminary reports indicate a pool of natural gas exploded as the worker attempted to turn on the stove’s pilot light to ignite the appliance. The home was vacant and was up for sale at the time of the incident.
The Orange County Fire Rescue spokeswoman, Cat Kennedy, confirmed that the worker suffered second degree burns throughout 50 percent of his body when officials responded to the scene at around 10:30 a.m. and rushed the man to Orlando Regional Medical Center.
Spokeswoman Kennedy said that AmeriGas is working closely with other public safety officials in Orange County in order to investigate the incident more thoroughly.
Important Statistics about Gas Explosions across the United States
According to a CBS Evening News article that cited the U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA):
- In 2009, 158 natural gas distribution incidents were reported.
- These incidents killed at least 10 people, injured 50, and caused at least $32 million in property damage.