Mangoes Recalled for Salmonella Risk
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), GHSW, LLC of Houston, Texas is initiating a voluntary recall of a limited quantity of expired products that contain fresh-cut mangoes due to the potential risk that the mangoes may contain Salmonella. The mangoes were sold to retail distributors in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.
What is Salmonella?
- According to the FDA, Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
- Healthy persons infected with Salmonella can often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
- In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism's getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
Products Being Recalled
- According to the FDA, products are packaged in clear plastic containers (cups, trays and clamshell type containers) and were distributed to retail distribution centers August 29-September 5, 2012.
- Products contain printed code dates on the top or bottom labels of the plastic package, ranging from 9/7/12 -9/15/12.
- The FDA recall is associated with Food Source’s recall of mangoes from Agricola Daniella. The FDA has issued an Import Alert and advised consumers not to eat mangoes from Agricola Daniella.
- The recalled products that directly affect Texas are Fruit Basket Medley, Mango Medley, Mango Spears, Island MedleyIsland, Mango Spears, and Fruit Burst.
Who to Contact
- Even though there have been no reported illnesses attributed to the items in this recall, the company has directly notified all retailers who have received the recalled product and directed them to remove affected products from their store shelves.
- According to the FDA, consumers who may have purchased affected products with the listed code dates should not consume the product and should destroy or discard it.
- Consumers with questions may contact GHSW, LLC Monday-Friday, 9 am-4 pm PDT at 1-888-449-9386.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of recalled foods or supplements, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.