Merck Agrees to $27.7 Million Settlement Proposal
Merck & Co has agreed to settle hundreds of lawsuits involving jaw injuries allegedly linked to treatment with the osteoporosis drug Fosamax.
Proposed Fosamax Settlement
- According to Reuters, lawyers representing Merck and plaintiff pursuing litigation against the pharmaceutical company disclosed at a New York hearing that a proposed deal had been reached.
- While the terms of the agreement have not been released, the $27.7 million deal would effectively settle approximately 1,140 lawsuits pending in federal and state courts across the U.S. being overseen by U.S. District Judge John Keenan.
- Merck is currently facing 5,075 lawsuits alleging jaw injuries caused by Fosamax including reports of osteonecrosis.
- Fosamax is prescription medication used to prevent and treat post-menopausal and steroid -induced osteoporosis.Merck to Settle over 1,000 Fosamax Lawsuits
- While the drug is meant to increase bone density, studies have shown that treatment with Fosamax can lead to jawbone injury and osteonecrosis.
- Osteonecrosis is a condition in which jawbone tissue begins to break down leading to deterioration of the gums exposing the bone beneath. Once the jawbone begins to die, the tissue cannot be regenerated.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective medication and pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.