Mirka Sanders Recalled – Fire Hazard
440 units were sold in the United States and 85 units were sold in Canada.
About the Mirka Sander Recall
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there have been three reports of electrical shorting incidents which included the sanders sparking and smoking.
There have been no reports of injuries or property damage.
The product was sold at various distributors and independent retailers nationwide and at Amazon.com, Beavertools.com and other online retailers from November 2013 to April 2014 for about $500.
Description of the Recalled Sanders
- The recall includes 5-inch and 6-inch Mirka compact electric random orbital sanders.
- The sanders are yellow and black with the Mirka logo on the front.
- There is a speed control lever on the top of the sanders and a vacuum hose connector on the rear.
- The recalled sanders came with a carrying case, a 12-foot power cord, a DC transformer, a wrench, a multi-hole backup pad and assorted abrasives.
- The 5-inch sander is model CEROS 550.
- The 6-inch sander is model CEROS 650.
- Model names are on a white sticker on the back of the sander housing beneath the hand grip.
- Serial numbers are engraved on the side of the sander housing just above the dust shroud.