More Cases of Hepatitis A Linked to Townsend Farms
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued an update stating that the number of people infected with hepatitis A associated to Townsend Farms Antioxident Blend has grown.
About the Townsend Farm Hepatitis A Outbreak
- According to a report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 162 people in 10 states have been infected with hepatitis A after eating Townsend Farms Antioxidant Blend.
- Although Food Safety News reports that Townsend Farms issued a recall on June 3rd, 71 people have been hospitalized and Costco has urged customers that purchased the antioxidant product to get prophylactic treatment.
- Harris Teeter, the other retailer of the Antioxidant Blend, has not issued a press release and there have been no reports on ill patients that bought the product from their stores. States included in the outbreak were Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and Wisconsin.
- In all cases of illness, contamination came directly from the American Southwest, however some ill patients travelled back to their home states.
- Within the antioxidant blend, pomegranate seeds imported from Turkey by Goknur Foodstuffs Import Export Trading were found to be the cause of the contamination, according to the FDA which is detaining shipments of the seeds from Goknur.
Description of Hepatitis A Symptoms
- Unlike hepatitis B and hepatitis C, it is possible to fully recover from symptoms and become immune to the hepatitis A virus.
- Younger children are less likely to have strong symptoms, however adolescents and adults show signs of muscle aches, appetite loss, malaise, fever, and headaches about 15 to 50 days after initial exposure to the virus.
- After exposure it takes 10 to 12 days for the virus to infect an individual’s blood and for it to be excreted in their feces. Without treatment, hepatitis A can lead to renal failure and death.
- For vaccinations, multiple health sources have stated that 14 days is the maximum length of time for effectiveness.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of recalled foods or supplements, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57