More People Could be at Risk as Xarelto Sales Projected to Rise
According to Drug Watch, pharmaceutical forecasters believe sales of new blood thinners like Xarelto will grow higher than any other prescription drug class by 2018, putting many more people at risk for serious side-effects.
- Xarelto is an anti-coagulant, similar to Pradaxa, used to reduce blood clots, deep vain thrombosis, and pulmonary embolism.
- Xarelto is often used during knee surgeries and hip replacements.
- Was created to replace Warfarin, another controversial drug that has been on the market for over 60 years.
- The drug is manufactured by Bayer and marketed by Johnson & Johnson.
- EvaluatePharma predicts that by 2018, Xarelto sales are expected to reach approximately $15.3 billion (nearly double its 2012 sales).
Dangers of Xarelto
“The good news is you now have an alternative to warfarin. The bad news is you can kill a patient as easily with the new drug as you could with the old drug.” – Dr. Alan Jacobson, Department of Veterans Affairs as published by Reuters.
- Xarelto may cause bleeding events around organs like the kidney, resulting in death.
- Currently, unlike warfarin, there are no antidotes to treat bleeding events that may occur from use of xarelto.
- Such bleeding events may result in death.
- As of August 2012, AdverseEvents received 2,337 reports of serious adverse events in which xarelto was the primary suspect drug.
- These events included: 386 reports of pulmonary embolism, 279 reports of deep vein thrombosis, and 107 reports of hemorrhage.
- At least 891 of these events resulted in prolonged hospitalization and 183 resulted in death.
- With global sales set to increase by about 11.5 percent per year until the doubling of sales in 2018, it can be deduced that reports of adverse events will rise accordingly.
Contact An Experienced Xarelto Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of Xarelto, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.