More Problems with Chanitx- Heart Risks
Chantix, a drug used to help people quit smoking, has been under attack for years because of a multitude of side-effects associated with its use. The most common concerns had to do with the risk of suicide or suicidal thoughts. Recent studies are now showing Chantix may also increase a smoker's risk of having heart attacks, congestive heart failure, and other heart problems.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) study found “certain cardiovascular adverse events were reported in more patients treated with Chantix than patients treated with the placebo.” Another study, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, found a 72% increased risk of serious adverse cardiovascular events associated with use of Chantix. Symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- New or worsening chest pain
- New or worse pain in legs when walking
Black Box Warning: The FDA issued a black box warning for depression and suicide in 2009.
Label Warnings: Label states Chantix may cause changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions.
Banned: Chantix has been banned by the Federal Aviation Administration for pilots and air-traffic controllers because it may cause loss of consciousness and blackouts. It has also been banned for commercial truck and bus drivers.
- Generic is Varenicline
- Smoking cessation drug
- Produced by Pfizer
- Approved by the FDA in 2006
- Prescribed to more than 7 million people in the United States
- According to a CNN report, almost 2,000 cases that blame the drug for neuropsychiatric effects are pending in the federal court system.
- About a third of the cases were suicides or attempted suicides.
- More than half of the cases involve conditions such as depression, chemical imbalance and neuropsychiatric injury.
- About 10% involve seizures or blackouts.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of any defective drugs and/or products, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.