NECC Recalls all Products Amidst Meningitis Outbreak
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the New England Compounding Center, which produced the contaminated steroid injections linked to a nationwide fungal meningitis outbreak, has recalled all of its products for consumer use.
NECC Recalls all Products Produced at Pharmacy
- According to the FDA, the investigation pertains to patients who have received an epidural steroid injection (methylprednisolone acetate) and contracted fungal meningitis as a result.
- The FDA recall investigation started on September 21, when the FDA and CDC were notified by the Tennessee Department of Health about the injections and resulting complications.
- The FDA narrowed the investigation down to one specific medication, preservative-free methylprednisolone acetate, or an injectable steroid distributed by NECC.
- NECC recalled preservative-free methylprednisolone acetate on September 26, 2012.
- As of Oct. 3, NECC has voluntarily shut down and handed over its license.
- As of Oct. 6 all NECC products have been recalled.
Important Information for Patients and Healthcare Providers
- Symptoms of fungal meningitis infection include fever, new or worsening headache, nausea, and new neurological deficit (consistent with deep brain stroke).
- If left untreated, fungal meningitis can result in serious injury or death.
- According to the FDA, health care providers should not use any NECC products at all and retain and secure all NECC products for secure disposal.
- Consumers with questions may contact the FDA at 1-800-332-1088.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively.
If you or someone you love contracted fungal meningitis after being injected with Methylprednisolone Acetate produced at New England Compounding Pharmacy, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.