Neck Massager Causes Strangulation Death
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a safety alert warning consumers about life-threatening injuries associated with the ShoulderFlex personal neck massager. There has been one fatality and one near-fatality associated with the defective device. According to the FDA, “hair, clothing, and jewelry can become entangled in the massage device and cause serious injury or death.”
- There has been one death and one near-strangulation associated with the ShoulderFlex Massager reported.
- These incidents occurred when a necklace and clothing became caught in a piece of the device that rotates during use.
- There are additional reports of incidents involving clothing and hair becoming caught in the device.
About the Device
- The device is designed for home use to provide deep tissue massage to the neck, shoulder, and back.
- The device consists of a massage unit that sits beneath the neck.
- The device includes a handheld controller, memory foam pillow, and machine-washable sleeve.
- King International has distributed 11,934 massagers since October 2003.
- Massagers were sold at various stores and online retailers in the U.S.
Recommendations for Consumers
- Consumers should immediately stop using the ShoulderFlex massager.
- Health care providers should stop recommending the product to patients.
- Anyone with the massager should dispose of the device components separately so that the massager cannot be reassembled and used.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/or defective pharmaceuticals.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of any defective drugs and/or products, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.