New Estimate States High Hazard and Economic Cost of Food Allergies
CNN has reported on research that estimates the United States spends $25 billion every year on food allergies.
About the JAMA Pediatrics Study
- According to the study published in JAMA Pediatrics, an estimated $25 billion is spent per year in the United States due to food allergies.
- Of the estimated $25 billion, $4.3 billion is spent on allergy medications and emergency treatments whereas the other $20.5 billion is spent on ongoing annual costs.
- A further $14.2 billion in indirect costs, according to the JAMA Pediatrics study, are attributed to lost career opportunities for allergic children’s parents.
- An estimated four to six percent of children have food related alergies, and it is suspected that the number is on the rise.
Advocates Plan to Increase Availability of Allergy Medicine in Schools
- In order to lower the likelihood of emergency room visits and death, the U.S. Senate has proposed that a preferential status be given to states that stock epinephrine when applying for federal grants.
- Epinephrine is used commonly to treat anaphylactic shock and requires nurses and schools to have legal protection before administrating the drug.
- If reactions are treated immediately, costs of epinephrine injection devices will be lowered with more options available to parents, such as epi pens, according to Dr. Carla Davis, an immunologist and pediatric allergist at Texas Children’s Hospital.
- Davis states there is hope with oral treatments that will attempt to desensitize children to their allergies and such research may provide a cure.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of recalled foods or supplements, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.