New York City Woman Severely Injured: Showcasing Lack of Safety on Queens Blvd
On January 15th, 2014, Gertrude Schnabel was crossing Queen’s Boulevard to enter Gotta Getta Bagels shop when she was hit by an MTA bus making a right turn. She was rushed to Bellevue Hospital with severe lower body injuries.
Details of the Queen's Boulevard Accident
- According to DNA info New York, Schnabel, 84, was crossing Queens Blvd when she was hit by a Q64 bus that was turning from 108th street to Queens Blvd.
- She has had two surgeries on her left leg, which was subsequently amputated below the knee, and is also scheduled for a surgery on her right ankle to put in screws.
- Schnabel’s lawyer, Henry Davoli, is planning on filing a $10 million notice of claim against MTA as well as New York City.
- The victim is also facing months of physical therapy and will have to receive help from extended family as she is a widow with no children.
Dangers of Queens Boulevard
- The bus and the victim had the right of way simultaneously.
- Department of Transportation statistics indicate that 70 pedestrians have died on Queens Blvd in traffic accidents from 1993-2001.
- It is nicknamed “The Boulevard of Death”.
Possbile Solutions to Pedestrian Accidents
- Pedestrian countdown signals.
- Fences that prevent jaywalking.
- Leading pedestrian interval walking signals – light turns green for walkers first, then vehicles.
- 18 leading pedestrians signals have already been installed along the road, more are required.
Mayor Bill de Blasio has laid out a plan called “Vision Zero” to reduce pedestrian accidents and dangerous driving. Speed cameras have also been installed along with heavier police enforcement for the highways.
Contact an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney
No one should have to suffer because of someone else's mistake or negligence. Whether your injury was caused by a drunk driver, reckless or negligent driving, or even intentional misconduct, our aggressive and persistent pressure on the driver will give us the information we need to win your case.
At Thomas J. Henry, we dedicate our time and knowledge to your needs. With over 20 years of experience, we have shown each of our clients that we are committed to getting results. Our attorneys are available 24/7 nights and weekends in order to be there when you need us. Choose an attorney who is aggressive, dedicated, and experienced. Contact Thomas J. Henry today. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million