NFL Settles Joint Concussion Lawsuit with $765 Million Deal
CNN reports that the NFL and former players involved in a lawsuit have negotiated a deal of $765 million to settle current lawsuits tied to concerns of concusions and long term brain injury.
About the NFL Concussion Lawsuits
- 4,500 former NFL players had filed lawsuits due to concerns of concussions being linked to brain damage and long term medical issues.
- The players alleged that the NFL deliberately spread misinformation denying scientific data which linked concussions and mild brain trauma to long term brain damage and disorders including Chronic Traumatic Encephalophathy (CTE).
- The players also claimed that the NFL distributed studies by its Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee suggesting that there was no correlation between concussions and long-term brain damage.
Terms of the NFL Concussion Settlement
“Rather than litigate literally thousands of complex individual claims over many years, the parties have reached an agreement that, if approved, will provide relief and support where it is needed at a time when it is most needed.” – Former U.S. District Judge and party mediator Layn Phillips as published by CNN
- It took the NFL and the players two years to negotiate a deal.
- As a result of the deal, the NFL will pay out a total of $765 million to settle the all the lawsuits.
- The $765 million will be used to fund the following:
- Former and current player medical exams
- Compensation for concussion related injuries
- Medical research for retired NFL players
- Paying for litigation expenses
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, contact our offices immediately – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.