NuvaRing Side-Effects: Blood Clots
NuvaRing, approved by the FDA in 2001, is one of the most popular forms of non-oral birth control on the market. Unfortunately, the birth control ring has been linked to thousands of adverse events caused by life-threatening blood clots.
Birth Control and Blood Clots
It is a well known fact that certain hormones present in birth control drugs can cause blood clots. The issue with NuvaRing is that while oral contraceptives see much of their hormone content escape into the digestive track, the hormones in the NuvaRing implant go straight into the blood stream.
“The risk of getting blood clots may be greater with the type of progestin in NuvaRing than with some other progestins in certain low-dose birth control pills,” Merck’s NuvaRing web site.
Why are Blood Clots Dangerous?
- Blood clotting is a natural process which helps the body repair injured blood vessels (MedicineNet.com).
- Blood clots can also form in the absence of an injury- like when a person becomes immobilized or when they are taking certain drugs.
- Blood clots in the vein are also known as Venous Thrombosis (VT) and can lead to serious conditions including Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Pulmonary Embolism (PE), and Venous Thromboembolism (VT).
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is where a blood clot forms in the deep veins of the body, usually in the legs.
- When a blood clot travels to the lungs, it can cause a Pulmonary Embolism (PE), or a blockage of an artery in the lung.
- Venous thromboembolism (VT) is the combination of DVT and PE.
- These clots can lead to heart attack or stroke when the clotting occurs in a blood vessel leading to the heart or brain.
Signs/Symptoms of Blood Clots
- Cramp-like leg pain
- Red, swollen or warm skin
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Heart palpitations
- Heart attack
- NuvaRing is a vaginal ring birth control product that is placed around the cervix and removed after 3-weeks to allow menstruation.
- NuvaRing has been linked to serious adverse events including blood clots, pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis, heart attack, stroke, and sudden death.
- According to the FDA, NuvaRing’s blood clot risk is 56% higher than older birth control pills.
- According to a 2012 British Medical Journal study, women who use NuvaRing are 6.5 times more likely to experience blood clots than women who do not use hormonal contraceptives.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.