Oakland Child Brain Dead after Tonsillectomy
An eighth-grader from Oakland, California has been declared brain dead following complication experienced after the young girl had her tonsils removed.
About the Tonsil Removal Surgery
- 13-year-old E.C. Reems Academy of Technology and Arts student Jahi McMath has been declared brain dead following problems experienced after a tonsillectomy.
- According to NBC, the child, treated at Children’s Hospital in Oakland, had undergone the surgery December, 9 in efforts to treat her sleep apnea.
- Initially, the surgery appeared to have been successful, with Jahi waking up able to tock and requesting a popsicle, however, 30 minutes later the young girl was rushed to Intensive Care choking on her own blood and falling into cardiac arrest.
- Two days later, it was declared that Jahi was brain dead.
Family Demands Investigation
- Despite Jahi’s family being told that the girl is now a “coroner’s case,” family members have shown no indication that they are willing to take the child off life support.
- The family will meet again with doctors today in an effort to find out more information as they attempt to understand the accident.
- In a release to NBC Bay Area, Jahi’s family stated that an error committed by the hospital resulted in the young girl’s condition.
- The statement also claimed that staff disappeared, leaving Jahi and her family to suction the blood the 13-year-old was coughing up on their own.
Contact an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of medical malpractice litigation. We have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
If you or a loved one have been injured due to medical malpractice, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57