One Dead in West County Center Construction Accident
Details of the Missouri Construction Accident
According to KSDK, the 50-year-old man was crushed into a pillar by a scissor lift while working in a parking garage near the center of the mall last Thursday.
He was reportedly walking near the lift on one of the upper floors of the parking garage he became trapped between the lift and a concrete pillar. Fortunately, the accident was not in the view of the public.
Police withheld the deceased’s identity pending notification of his next of kin. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) was called and is conducting their own investigation.
National Construction Accident Statistics
The following data was provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Adminsitration (OSHA):
- 4,585 workers were killed in on the job accidents in 2013 – this averages to 88 deaths a week or more than 12 deaths a day.
- 4,101 of the worker fatalities recorded in 2013 occurred in private industry, and 828 were linked to construction incidents.
- Construction’s most common causes of death, dubbed the “fatal four,” include:
- Falls – 302 (36.5%)
- Struck by Object – 84 (10.1%)
- Electrocutions – 71 (8.6%)
- Caught-in/between – 21 (2.5%)