Onions and Cantaloupes Recalled for Listeria
Burch Farms of North Carolina and Gills Onions of Oxnard, California are recalling cantaloupes and onions due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
“Listeria is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people and others with weakened immune system,” U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Symptoms of Listeriosis Infection
- High fever
- Severe headache
- Abdominal pain
- On July 18, 2012, Gills Onions LLC issued a voluntary recall of a single day’s production of onions due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
- The list of recalled items was expanded July 26 to include diced, slivered and whole-peeled onions and diced onion and celery mix with use-by dates on or before Aug. 3.
- These items were shipped to multiple states including California, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Montana, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah and Washington.
Companies who use Gills onions in their products have also issued recalls:
- Whole Foods Market prepared foods (in Florida)
- Trader Joe’s salsa, balela and barbecue chicken salad
- Cool Creations bean dips and salsas
- Wegman’s prepared foods at three Pennsylvania stores
- On July 28, 2012, Burch Farms issued a recall on 580 crates of cantaloupes shipped to Hannaford supermarkets in New York due to possible Listeria contamination.
- The Athena cantaloupes were distributed to retail stores operating in the northeastern United States.
- Hannaford Supermarkets operates 181 stores in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York and Vermont.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of recalled foods or supplements, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.