Opioids Linked to Higher Risk of Birth Defects
Opioid Analgesics Increase Risk of Birth Defects Three Fold
- Opioid analgesics are prescription medications, such as codeine and oxycodone, used to treat severe, long lasting pain.
- The most common reasons opioids may be prescribed during pregnancy are to treat infections, chronic diseases, injuries, and pain resulting from surgery.
- According to a National Birth Defect Prevention Study, however, the use of these painkillers increases the risk of a child suffering debilitating and potentially fatal birth defects by two to three times.
Several Birth Defects have been Linked to Opioid Analgesics
- According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), taking opioid analgesics while pregnant has been linked to:
- Spina bifida
- The drugs also increase the risk of a child being born with congenital heart defects, the most common form of birth defect, including:
- Conoventicular septal defect
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome
- Atrial septal defect
- Tetrology of Fallot
- According to CDC, 1 in every 33 babies is born with a birth defect. This equates to 1 baby every 4.5 minutes.
- Birth defects are currently the leading cause of death among infants accounting for over 20 percent of all infant deaths or roughly 5,600 deaths per year.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57