Over 5,000 Children Are Injured Each Year after Falling through Windows
According to a study published in Pediatrics, over 5,000 U.S. children will visit hospital emergency rooms for injuries sustained after falling through a window every year.
Children Injured after Falling through Windows
- According the study, 98,415 children were treated in hospital emergency rooms after falling through a window between 1990 and 2008.
- The vast majority of children who fall through windows are toddlers under the age of 4.
- 28 percent of these visits required an extended hospital stay.
- Children’s Hospital Colorado warns that even a fall of 10 feet can result in spinal injury, paralysis and fatal head injury.
- Every year, 20 children die after falling through a window.
Safety Tips to Prevent Window Related Child Injuries
“People always want to blame the parents. But the truth is most of the parents were observing appropriate supervision at the time of the accident” – Dr. Brian Johnston, Harborview’s Injury Prevention Research Center at the University of Washington in Seattle as published by United Press International.
- Most cases involve children falling against a window screen. The screen is not meant to hold the weight of a child leading to the screen being forced out of its setting.
- Parents are urged to place window guards in their house, especially if they have toddlers.
- Parents should not open windows more than four inches.
- Moving furniture away from windows will discourage children from climbing to reach open windows.
- Never assume a closed window is child proof as children quickly develop the dexterity and strength needed to open a window.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury, contact our offices. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57