Oyster Bay Drowning Lawsuit Ruling Moves Case to Federal Court
Details of the Oyster Bay Boating Accident
The death of the three children on a July 4th boating accident in 2012 in Nassau County was reportedly due to overloading of the recreational boat, with 27 people on board of a 34-foot Silverton Cabin Cruiser which later sank.
According ot Newsday, the case is proceeding to federal court after questions of negligence and liability were raised by the defense’s attorney in order to limit the liability of the boat’s owner- Kevin Treanor.
The prosecution can only contest the owner’s attempt to limit liability to the value of the vessel after the accident through proof of negligence or the actual value of the vessel, which was estimated at $1,500.
Statistics on Recreational Boating Accidents
- In 2012, the U.S. Coast Guard reported 4,515 accidents, involving 651 deaths.
- In 71 percent of cases of recreational boating accidents, victims drowned.
- In 85 percent of those cases they were not reported as wearing life jackets.
- In 2012, there were 35 deaths involving cabin motorboats, the third leading type of vessel in accidents, behind personal watercraft and open motorboats.
- Most fatal boating accidents in 2012 occurred in the month of July with 124 people losing their lives.
- The five leading causes of boating accidents are operator inattention, operator inexperience, improper lookout, machinery failure, and excessive speed.
Contact an Experienced Maritime Accident Attorney
Anyone who is involved in any type of maritime accident should immediately seek medical care. Even if an accident seems to be minor, you can prevent further health complications from developing by seeking immediate attention.
It is also essential to document any maritime injury in the accident report immediately after in occurs. The more detailed your report is, the better chance you have of receiving maximum compensation.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a maritime accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We will thoroughly evaluate your case and help you recover the compensation you need and deserve. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends and we represent clients/victims all over the country.