Panasonic Recalls Defective Power Saws
Panasonic has announced a voluntary recall of its Metal Cutter Saw Kit and Metal Cutter Combo Kit due to laceration hazards. Blades of the saw may become exposed as a result of a malfunction of the blade guard.
Metal Cutter Saw Report
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the lower blade guard can become stuck in the fully retracted position, which may then prevent the blade guard from being automatically released. The exposed blades pose a laceration and injury risk.
As of September 10, 2015 no injuries or deaths have been reported.
Customers should immediately cease use of the recalled saws and contact Panasonic for a prepaid, return-shipping label. Panasonic will replace the safety guard then return the saw to the customer.
Panasonic Metal Cutter Saw Information
- Approximately 165 saws are involved in this recall.
- The EY3530NQMKW 15.6V Cordless Metal Cutter Kit and the EYC136NQK 15.6V Cordless Metal Cutter Combo Kit are involved in this recall.
- Model EY3530 metal cutter saw:
- The shape is circular and comes in black with yellow accents.
- The name “Panasonic” can be seen in white letters on the upper wrap around the blade guard. o “15.6 V” and “Metal Cutter Saw” are printed in black letters with yellow highlights on the blade guard.
- Model EY136 combo kit:
- This kit includes the EY3530 circular metal cutting saw in addition to a drill and accessories.
- The model number and date code are located on the bottom of the lower support, between the battery and the blade.
- The first number in the date code is the year, the second and the third are the month followed by the production number, which is the last four digits.
- Date codes: 3120001 through 3120030, 4010001 through 4010030, 4030001 through 4030030, 4080001 through 4080060, 5010001 through 5010060.
- Products were sold at industrial distributers all over the nation.
- Saws were sold from April 2014 through June 2015. Each saw kit sold for roughly $400 and $500 for the combo kit.
- Saws were manufactured in China and Japan then imported by Panasonic Corporation of North America, of Newark, N.J.