Parents Beware of Dangerous Holiday Toys
Defective, toxic, and hazardous toys may be lurking among your child’s newly acquired holiday gifts, CNN News warns, as it presents findings from the U.S. Public Interest Research Group’s (PIRG) 27th annual “Trouble in Toyland” survey. This year, the public interest group found issue with hazards and toxins associated with high-powered magnets, folding bicycles, noisemakers, and several other children’s toys.
2012 “Trouble in Toyland” Key Findings
The 2012 Trouble in Toyland report lists several key findings from the PIRG toy store investigations. The following hazards are those that PIRG found to be the most prominent among this season’s children's toys.
- Long cords- pose a strangulation hazard.
- Lead- can cause harmful affects on the brains of young children.
- Phthalates- pose a serious threat to reproduction and may cause premature delivery and birth defects.
- Magnets- cause internal damage if swallowed.
- Small Parts- pose choking hazard.
- Noise makers- potentially lead to hearing loss.
Toy Safety Tips for Parents
- Examine all toys carefully for potential dangers before allowing kids to play.
- “Read and heed” warning labels.
- Make sure all toys are age appropriate.
- Monitor children playing with toys that have small, removable parts, and/or long strings.
- Be vigilant about metals in toys as they may contain lead or cadmium above the mandatory safety limits (PIRG).
- Report unsafe toys or toy-related injuries to the CPSC at www.cpsc.gov and www.saferproducts.gov or call the CPSC at 1-800-638-2772.
Contact an Experienced Child Safety Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in both product liability litigation and child injury. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury due to a recalled product, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends, and we represent clients/victims all over the country.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57