Pedestrian Accident Facts and Safety Tips
At crosswalks and intersections, on sidewalks and in the street- every minute of every day, people are being injured and killed in pedestrian accidents. It’s a scary thought- you’re walking along a quiet street, minding your own business when you are struck by a negligent driver. The number of pedestrian accidents has gone down in recent years, but the problem has not been completely eliminated. Statistics below provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Pedestrian Accident Facts
- On average, a pedestrian was killed every two hours and injured every nine minutes in a traffic crash in 2009.
- In 2009, 4,092 pedestrians were killed and about 59,000 were injured in traffic crashes in the United States.
- In 2009, pedestrian deaths accounted for 12% of all traffic fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- Alcohol involvement — either for the driver or for the pedestrian — was reported in 48% of the traffic crashes that resulted in pedestrian fatalities.
Interesting Facts from 2009
- 76% of pedestrian fatalities did not occur at intersections
- Almost 90% of pedestrian fatalities occurred during normal weather conditions, compared to rain, snow and fog
- Older pedestrians (age 65+) accounted for 19% percent of all pedestrian fatalities
- 20% of the children between the ages of 5 and 9 killed in traffic crashes were pedestrians
- More than two-thirds (69%) of the pedestrians killed in 2009 were males
- Nearly one-half (48%) of all pedestrian fatalities occurred the weekend (Friday through Sunday)
Safety Tips for Drivers and Pedestrians
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians crossing streets in marked or unmarked crosswalks in most situations.
- When possible, cross the street at a designated crosswalk. Always stop and look left, right, and left again before crossing.
- Increase visibility at night by carrying a flashlight when walking and by wearing retro-reflective clothing that helps to highlight body movements.
- It is much safer to walk on a sidewalk, but if you must walk in the street, walk facing traffic.
Contact an Experienced Distracted Driving Attorney
If you suspect you have been injured because of a negligent driver, contact Thomas J. Henry for immediate assistance. We have built a reputation for innovative investigations, creative litigation and maximum results for our clients.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million