Penn State to Pay $59.7 Million to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims
Penn State has agreed to pay $59.7 million to settle 26 claims of child sexual abuse filed against the university.
About the Penn State Sexual Abuse Claims
- According to the Austin American-Statesman, the claims were filed by 26 young men who alleged that they had been molested and sexually assaulted by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
- Sandusky was first charged with child molestation nearly two years ago. The allegations caused a media frenzy as other administrators and staff including college football legend Joe Paterno were indicted after failing to report Sandusky’s crimes. Paterno died shortly after from lung cancer.
- Three former administrators are currently awaiting trial, facing charges including perjury, conspiracy and failure to report child abuse.
- Sandusky is currently serving 30 to 60 years after being found guilty of 45 criminal count in connection to the sexual abuse of 10 boys.
Penn State to Pay $59.7 Million to Sexual Abuse Victims
- Penn State reports that 23 deals have been fully signed and the remaining three are agreements in principal.
- In order to settle all 26 claims of child sexual abuse filed against the university in connection to the Sandusky scandal, Penn State has agreed to pay a total of $59.7 million.
- The settlements have been unfolding since mid-August. While some attorneys have disclosed amounts over individual claims, Penn State adhered to a strict policy that it would only confirm the amount being paid after all the claims could be addressed at once.
- In addition to the settlements, Penn State has also spent more than $50 million on legal fees, public relations and the implementation of news sexual abuse policies due to the Sandusky scandal.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
If you believe your child has suffered from physical or sexual abuse, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We have the knowledge and experience to handle your child’s case. We will also take immediate action to prevent any further mistreatment.
Our attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Your choice does matter. Contact our offices for immediate assistance. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57