Has Your Child Suffered a Burn Injury?
CHILD BURN INJURIES LEAVE MORE THAN PHYSICAL SCARS
Burn injuries can be especially debilitating to children. Not only do burn injuries affect a child’s physical appearance, they can also result in long-lasting emotional and psychological problems.
While no child should have to endure the pain, scarring, and life-altering consequences that result from an extreme burn, the unfortunate truth is that thousands of children are hospitalized for serious burn injuries every year. If your child was injured due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover damages.
CHILD BURN STATISTICS
- 334 children ages 19 and under died from fire or burn injuries in 2013. 87% of those deaths were attributed to home fires.
- 44% of children who died of fire or burn injuries in 2013 were under the age of 4.
- The number of child deaths attributed to fires and burns increased 30% from 2012 to 2013, from 257 deaths to 334 deaths.
- An additional 126,000 children under the age of 19 were seen in emergency rooms for fire and burn injuries in 2013.
- The majority of children ages 4 and under who are hospitalized for burn related injuries are victims of scald burns.
- An estimated 75% of all scalding burns in children are preventable.
- Scalding burns often occur In the bathroom and tend to cover a larger portion of the body than other scald burns – still, only 8% percent of adults feel the bathroom is a high risk area for burn and scald accidents.
- Cooking equipment is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries.
- Having a working smoke alarm reduces the chances of dying in a home fire by half.
- Only 23% or homes in the U.S. have and practice a fire escape plan.
COMMON TYPES OF CHILD BURNS
- Thermal burns: Thermal burns are the most common type of burns and result from direct contact with fire, hot liquids, and hot objects in general.
- Chemical burns: Chemical burns occur when certain acids and other chemicals contact a child’s skin. Many chemicals that can cause serious injury are used in construction, medical, automotive, and agricultural industries.
- Electrical burns: Your child may have experienced an electrical burn if he or she experienced an electric current pass through their body. These types of burns cause both internal and external damage, and depending on the strength of the current can cause serious injury or death.
UNDERSTANDING THE SEVERITY OF A CHILD’S BURN INJURIES
Burns are described as first-, second-, or third-degree based on the severity of the injury and the layers of skin and muscle the burn affects.
- First-degree burns: Considered mild compared to other burns, but can still be painful. They result in pain and reddening of the out-layer of skin called the epidermis.
- Second-degree burns: Also referred to as partial thickness burns, second-degree burns affect the epidermis and the dermis (the lower layer of skin). Second-degree burns are generally characterized by swelling and blistering in addition to pain and redness.
- Third-degree burns: Third-degree burns are referred to as full thickness burns as they pass through the dermis and affect deeper tissues. Third-degree burns result in white or blackened, charred skin that may be numb. The numbness is causes by nerve damage.
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED CHILD BURN INJURY ATTORNEY
At Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious burn injury, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionNet to Client: $20.1 Million | Expenses: $39,576.15 | Attorney Fees: $10,060,980.00
THOMAS J. HENRY – 2013 TOP BIRTH INJURY ADVOCATESAwarded In 2013 to Thomas J. Henry by Parenting Magazine
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57