Child Injuries Caused by Negligent Property Owners
NEGLIGENT PROPERTY OWNERS EXPOSE CHILDREN TO UNNECESSARY RISKS
Unsafe and unsecured premises are especially dangerous for children. In many cases, an unsafe property may pose unique dangers to children only. Most adults do not have to worry about unsecured windows or swimming pools, but these areas could cause serious or fatal injuries to a curious, wandering child.
Because of careless property owners, children often suffer catastrophic injuries, such as brain injuries, internal organ damage, and spinal cord injuries. Sadly, in many cases, the severity of a child’s injury compared to that of an adult is magnified. Dangerous premises can cause significant, life-altering injuries and death to a young child. When a property owner fails to take the necessary steps to provide a safe environment for adults and children alike, they may be held liable for any injuries that occur.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR CHILD WAS INVOLVED IN A PREMISES LIABILITY ACCIDENT
If your child sustained an injury due to a negligently cared-for property, follow these steps to protect your child’s well-being and protect their right as a victim:
- Seek medical attention for your child’s injuries
- Your child’s health and safety is paramount. Before any other action is taken, make sure your child receives the medical attention they need in a timely manner.
- Report the incident to the owner or manager of the property
- Inform the property owner of you child’s injury. Make sure you receive a copy of the incident report for your own records.
- Take pictures of the area where the accident happened
- Photos with a date and time are important as evidence can be removed. Also take photos of your child’s injuries. These will help illustrate information already included in your child’s medical records.
- Get names and phone numbers of any people who witnessed the accident
- If anybody witnessed your child’s injury, get their name and number. This will help prove your story in the future and strengthen your claim.
- Call an experienced injury attorney
- Thomas J. Henry has the experience and resources necessary to retrieve the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our attorneys are available 24/7 and can travel to you if needed.
COMMON CAUSES OF PREMISES LIABILITY INJURIES
- Child window falls
- Unsafe or unsecured windows lead to more than 5,000 child injuries each year in the United States, including brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and paralysis.
- Daycare injuries and abuse
- Tens of thousands of children require trips to the emergency room every year after sustaining injuries at a daycare or other child care facility.
- Dog bite injuries
- More than four million dog bites occur each year, and 79 percent of fatal dog bites are children.
- School and playground accidents
- The majority of the more than 200,000 emergency room visits each year caused by playground equipment are children under the age of 15.
- Swimming pool and child drowning accidents
- In children between the ages of one and four, drowning is the second leading cause of death behind birth defects.
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED CHILD INJURY ATTORNEY
If your child was injured due to the negligence of a property owner, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced child injury lawyers are standing by and are available 24/7, nights and weekends. We have represented children injured in a wide variety of premises liability claims and have consistently demonstrated how property owners have put young children in danger due to their negligence and recklessness. Call us today for a free legal consultation.
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionNet to Client: $20.1 Million | Expenses: $39,576.15 | Attorney Fees: $10,060,980.00
THOMAS J. HENRY – 2013 TOP BIRTH INJURY ADVOCATESAwarded In 2013 to Thomas J. Henry by Parenting Magazine
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57