GM SUV Airbag Recall
GM Recalls 1.18 Million Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Saturn SUVs
General Motors has issued a recall for 1.18 million full-size crossover SUVs due to concerns that faulty wiring may cause seat-mounted side airbags to fail to deploy in the event of a collision.
In the event of an airbag failure, occupants of the popular family vehicles will be much more likely to suffer serious injury or death. Current data suggests that airbags can help reduce the risk of death in frontal collisions by up to 32 percent and serious head injuries by up to 85 percent.
Details of the GM SUV Recall
GM warns that failure can occur when the airbag warning light on the instrument panel illuminates, but an owner does not have the airbags checked by a dealership.
Models affected by the airbag recall include:
- 2009-2013 Chevrolet Traverse
- 2008-2013 Buick Enclave
- 2008-2013 GMC Acadia
- 2008-2010 Saturn Outlook
The recall for these vehicles was announced alongside two other recalls: one for 63,900 Cadillac XTS sedans and another for 303,000 full-size vans.
Previous Recall Actions by General Motors
- In February, General Motors initiated a recall that was expanded twice to cover 2.6 million vehicles in connection to faulty ignition switches and airbag failures.
- The Center for Auto Safety has suggested that these defects are linked to as many as 303 deaths.
- GM is currently facing multiple federal and congressional investigations in connection to the ignition switch recall, including probes by the Department of Justice, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
- In May, GM announced it would pay the maximum fine of $35 million for the delayed ignition recall. The automaker was also fined a cumulative $430,000 for failing to provide NHTSA with information in a timely manner.
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED INJURY ATTORNEY TODAY
If you or a loved one have been injured due to a defective GM vehicle, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our firm has a proven track record of winning large cases for severely injured clients for more than 25 years. Thomas J. Henry has the legal and financial resources necessary to properly develop your case and fight for the compensation you deserve. Our dedication and determination is reflected in the record-breaking results we have helped our clients achieve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.