PetSmart Fish Bowl Recall Expanded for Laceration Hazard
In addition to a previous 10,200 (1,000 in Canada) item recall on fish bowls in 2014, PetSmart has expanded its recall to about 81,300 in the US and 4,000 in Canada due to laceration hazards.
Details of the Fish Bowl Recall
According to recall releases, the fish bowls can shatter or crack with regular use posing hazard to customers.
20 new reports received of the glass fish bowl shattering or breaking during normal use. 14 additional reports of injury have been received including seven instances of lacerations requiring stitches and an additional three that requiring surgery.
Customers are cautioned to use extra care handling fish bowl when returning.
Description of the Recalled Fishbowls
Information below provided by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC):
- The recalled item is a 1.75 gallon fish bowl shaped like a “brandy snifter.”
- Bowls were sold under Top Fin or Grreat Choice [sic] brand names with the SKU number 5140161 and UPC code 737257187092.
- Numbers are available on sticker at the bottom of the bowl.
- Items were sold nationwide in PetSmart stores from March 2010 to September 2013 for about $20.
- This item was made in China.