Pharmacy in Meningitis Outbreak Had History of Problems
As of November 13, 2012, the multi-state fungal meningitis outbreak linked to tainted epidural injections has left 438 ill and 32 dead in 19 states. According to recent reports, New England Compounding Center (NECC), the pharmacy that produced the tainted medication, has a history of regulatory non-compliance and other health and safety issues.
Fungal Meningitis Risks Found in 2002
- According to a news report by the Boston Business Journal, federal detectives discovered risks of possible fungal meningitis infections at the New England Compounding Center (NECC) as far back as 2002.
- During an inspection that year, the U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) discovered hygiene and technical delays at NECC.
- The issues at NECC were found to be similar to problems at another compounding facility in California which resulted in three deaths from meningitis that same year.
- Upon this discovery, the FDA advised suspending NECC’s procedures but was unable to shut down the operation because the pharmacy fell under the jurisdiction of the state.
Co-owner of Pharmacy Has History of Non-Compliance
- A report from Boston.com states that Barry Cadden, co-owner and pharmacist at NECC, has a history of regulatory non-compliance.
- In 2004, Cadden denied being in possession of an eye medication that was under investigation. An inspector later found 189 vials of the eye medication in his ownership.
- The public is now questioning why regulators did not take stronger action against NECC despite past compliance issues and FDA warnings.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively.
If you or someone you love contracted fungal meningitis after being injected with Methylprednisolone Acetate produced at New England Compounding Pharmacy, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.