Playground Injury Statistics and Safety Tips
The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons has released statistics of the number of children injured on playgrounds in 2012. The release also broke down the injuries by each piece of playground equipment.
Child Playground Injuries for 2012
- A total of 600,000 children were injured on playgrounds in 2012.
- 210,000 injuries occurred on monkey bars and other climbing structures.
- 151,000 injuries occurred on swing sets.
- 125,000 injuries occurred while children were on or exiting from slides.
- 10,000 injuries resulted from seesaw accidents.
- 56,000 of the injuries were connected to other equipment.
Playground Safety Tip for Parents
“Parents and care takers should steer clear from playgrounds with asphalt or concrete surfaces, metal and wood swings sets or an apparatus that can trap a child’s head” – Dr. Jennifer Weiss, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons as published by News-Leader.
- Parents should direct children to age-appropriate playground equipment.
- Parents should always maintain a clear line of sight with their children.
- Make sure there is adequate space for you child to easily get off and away from playground equipment.
- Parents should avoid using metal or wooden swing seats – swing seats should be plastic or rubber.
- Remember that equipment exposed to direct sunlight may be hot and can result in burn injuries.
- Remove all necklaces and jewelry that may catch on playground equipment before the child plays.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury, contact our offices. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57