Pool Accidents Rise as Summer Approaches
With the end of the school year and summer right around the corner, children and teenagers across the country are heading to their local pool or beach to enjoy the warm temperatures. However, while parents must be aware of the different dangers there children may face when enjoying these summer festivities.
Swimming Pool Accidents and Drowning Statistics
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website, in 2007, there were 3,443 fatal unintentional drownings in the United States, averaging ten deaths per day. An additional 496 people died, from drowning and other causes, in boating-related incidents.
We also find that more than one in five fatal drowning victims are children 14 and younger. For every child who dies from drowning, another four received emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.
Common Causes of Pool Accidents
- Failure to maintain water clarity
- Inattentive and untrained Life Guards
- Failure to maintain self latching and closing gates that keep young children from entering pool area
- Failure to maintain pool logs as required by state laws
- Vacuum drains that do not have proper covers can cause serious or fatal results
- Lack of safety equipment on hand such as shepard hooks and ring buoys with throw ropes
- Lack of flotation safety lines separating deep and shallow areas of pool
- Unclear depth markers that prevent swimmers from knowing what the depth of the pool is
- Lack of certified and properly trained pool staff responsible for pool upkeep
- Defective pool equipment such as filters and pool pumps that affect water clarity
- Lack of pool ladders that allow easy exit from pools
- Emergency phone near pool not working or non-existent
- Overcrowded pools with too many people in the pool at one time
- Inadequate light for pool area
- Defective pool lights
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are experienced in swimming pool and water-related accidents. Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one have suffered because of a swimming pool or water-related injury, contact our offices immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57