Popular Blood Pressure Medications Linked to Cancer
According to Reuters, blood pressure medications known as calcium channel blockers may be linked to an increased breast cancer risk in women.
About Calcium Channel Blockers
- Calcium channel blockers prevent calcium from entering cells of the heart and blood vessel walls. They are meant to lower blood pressure.
- These drugs include amlodopine, marketed as Norvasc, and nicardipine, marketed as Cardene.
- 98 million prescriptions for calcium channel blockers were filled in 2010.
Details of the Calcium Channel Blockers Study
- The study looked at the two most common forms of breast cancer, ductal breast cancer and lobular breast cancer.
- The study looked at 2,847 women between the ages of 55 and 74: 905 women with ductal cancer, 1,051 women with lobular cancer, and 891 women who were cancer free.
- 40 percent of each group took medication for high blood pressure.
- The study found that 25 of the women with ductal cancer and 26 women with lobular cancer had been on calcium channel blockers more than 10 years. This was compared to 11 women who took calcium channel blockers and were cancer free.
- The study concluded that calcium channel blockers more than double the risk of breast cancer.
- No other types of hypertension drugs were tied to an increased risk of breast cancer.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.