Possible Link Between Talcum and Cancer- Jury to Weigh In
Accoriding to Argus Leader Media, a woman from Sioux Falls, South Dakota named Deane Berg sued Johnson & Johnson in 2009 for failing to put a warning label on feminine hygiene products containing talcum powder that she has used for over 30 years, claiming it caused her to contract ovarian cancer. She desires to be awarded medical and punitive damages for J&J not adequately warning the public of the potential hazards of talc in its products.
Berg's Argument For Talcum Powder Link
- Berg was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2006 when talc was detected in one of her ovaries; only afterwards did she learn from an outside source that there was a relationship between talcum powder and cancer.
- There is evidence dating back to 1971 that indicates a link between talcum powder and cancer.
- She claims Johnson & Johnson should have put a warning label on their products containing talc, as there is enough evidence to show there is a link between talc and cancer.
Johnson & Johnson's Argument
- Talc is used in other household items, such as toothpaste, chewing gum, and aspirin and has not been shown in any of those products to pose a danger to consumers.
- Talc and cancer are only weakly associated, based on the evidence.
- There was no proof of causation between talc and cancer presented at trial.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or medical devices, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.