HAVE YOU SUFFERED A SEVERE BURN IN AN ACCIDENT?
According to the American Burn Association, nearly 500,000 people are treated for burn injuries every year. Victims of burns are often left with serious injuries that require painful and expensive medical treatment. Burns can cause swelling, blistering, infection, scarring, and in serious cases death.
Burn injuries come in many different forms and can be caused in several different ways. Depending on the severity and the cause, burn injuries can either be treated at home or require immediate emergency medical attention. Common causes of burn injuries include:
- Fire or flames
- Scalding liquid
- Hot surfaces
- Electrical shock
Unfortunately, it can take a long time to recover from a burn injury. After suffering the painful injury, burn victims require laborious and lengthy treatment, which may include surgery, skin grafts, and reconstructive procedures. After emergency medical care (oftentimes several rounds of surgeries), patients may require months or years of rehabilitation and occupational or physical therapy. In addition, the accident that caused the burn injury may have also caused psychological, emotional, or mental anguish that is further exacerbated by the sight of a burn scar.
During this entire process, medical bills and costs continue to pile up for the burn victim. Burn injuries oftentimes put people out of work due to the persistent pain, causing additional financial burdens for them and their family. At Thomas J. Henry, we are dedicated to our clients and their case. We can help injured clients get back on their feet by advancing money for living and medical costs. In addition, our clients don’t have to pay anything unless we win their case. We want to make sure our clients are comfortable and informed throughout the entire legal process as they focus on healing from their physical and emotional injuries.
LIABILITY FOR BURN INJURIES
Burn injuries can occur almost anywhere and can be caused by a multitude of factors, including:
- Defective household and industrial products
- Car accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Exposure to harmful chemicals on the job
- Faulty electrical wiring
If your burn injury was caused by negligence on the part of an individual or company, you may choose to hire an attorney to help recover damages including past and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
CLASSIFICATION OF BURN INJURIES
There are three classifications of burns: first, second, and third degree. Treatment for burn injuries is determined by the type of burn, severity of tissue damage, size of burn, and area of the body affected.
- First-degree burns damage only the outer layer of skin, causing redness, swelling, and minor pain. These burns usually clear up in under a week. Sunburns are examples of first-degree burns.
- Second-degree burns damage the outer layer and the layer underneath, causing red and white splotches, swelling, and blisters. Pain can be severe, and if the burn is deep, scarring may occur.
- Third-degree burns cause damage into the fat layer below the skin, leaving the area white or black and causing nerve damage and numbness to the area.
Medical treatment should be sought after if you develop large blisters, signs of an infection, or significant scarring. Chemical, electrical, or burns that inhibit your ability to breathe are signs that medical attention is required. When in doubt, seek medical attention immediately.
BURN INJURY STATISTICS
The following information regarding burn injuries is provided by the American Burn Association (ABA):
- In 2016, 486,000 people suffered burn injuries requiring medical attention.
- 40,000 had burn injuries requiring hospitalization.
- Over 60 percent of those hospitalized for a burn injury were sent to a burn center.
- 3,275 people died due to fire or smoke inhalation.
- Residential fires — 2,745 deaths
- Vehicle crash fires — 310 deaths
- Other sources — 220 deaths
- Of those admitted into burn centers, 73 percent of burns occurred at home and eight percent were occupational.
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED BURN INJURY ATTORNEY
If you or a loved one have been the victim of a severe burn injury, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experience burn injury lawyers are available to assist you. If you sustained your burn injury due to the negligence of an individual or company, you may be entitled to collect damages for medical costs, lost wages from missing work, future earnings, and more. We will handle your case with care and ensure that you are in the best position to achieve the real results you deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
THOMAS J. HENRY – 2016 TEXAS’ TOP RATED LAWYERSAwarded In 2016 to Thomas J. Henry by Legal Leaders (An ALM Company)
THOMAS J. HENRY – PREMIER LAW FIRM OF 2016Awarded In 2016 to Thomas J. Henry by Newsweek.com
RECENT RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionNet to Client: $20.1 Million | Expenses: $39,576.15 | Attorney Fees: $10,060,980.00