Child Brain Injuries
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR CHILD SUFFERS A BRAIN INJURY?
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are among the leading causes of accidental death and disability in children. Even a minor TBI can result in significant changes to a child’s cognitive skills and concentration. This is due to the fact that a child’s brain is still developing and is especially vulnerable to injury.
If you believe your child’s injury is due to someone else’s negligence, contact our experienced child injury lawyers immediately.
CHILD BRAIN INJURY STATISTICS
The following information is provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Among children ages 0 to 14 years, traumatic brain injuries (TBI) result in an estimated 400,000 emergency department visits each year.
- Between 2001 and 2009, the number of sport-related concussion and sport-related TBI emergency room visits involving children ages 19 and under rose by 57%.
- Children aged 0 to 4 years, older adolescents aged 15 to 19 years, and adults aged 65 years and older are most likely to sustain a TBI.
- Almost half a million (473,947) emergency department visits for TBI are made annually by children aged 0 to 14 years.
- Each year, an estimated 1.7 million people sustain a TBI annually. Of them 52,000 die, 275,000 are hospitalized, and 1.365 million, nearly 80%, are treated and released from an emergency department (CDC).
- TBI is a contributing factor to 30% of all injury-related deaths in the United States (CDC).
- Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of TBI-related death in children and young adults ages 5- through 24-years
WHAT ARE THE LEADING CAUSES OF BRAIN INJURIES IN CHILDREN?
Children can experience traumatic brain injuries from a variety of causes and many times could have been prevented. Some common causes include:
- Sports injuries
- Sports and recreational activities contribute to approximately 21 percent of all traumatic brain injuries among American children and teens.
- Auto accidents
- Among all age groups, motor vehicle crashes and traffic-related incidents were the third leading cause of TBI (14.3%). One out of four TBI-related deaths were caused by a motor vehicle accident.
- Falls continued to be the leading cause of TBI (40.5%) in the United States. Falls cause more than half (55%) of the TBIs among children aged 0 to 14 years and 61% of all TBIs among adults aged 65 years and older.
- Assaults produced 10.7% of TBIs in the general population; they accounted for only 2.9% in children aged 0 to 14 years and 1% in adults aged 65 years old and older.
- Struck by/against an object
- Between 2006 and 2010, the second leading cause of TBI was the act of being struck by or against an object. According to the CDC, being struck by or against an object was the culprit in 15.5% of TBI cases.
DOES YOUR CHILD HAVE SYMPTOMS OF A BRAIN INJURY?
Symptoms your child may exhibit if he or she has a brain injury include:
- Changes in pupil size
- Chronic or severe headaches
- Fluid draining from nose, mouth, or ears
- Fracture in the skull or face
- Low breathing rate
- Memory loss
- Behavioral changes
- Restlessness, clumsiness, or lack of coordination
- Speech and language problems
- Slurred speech
- Blurred vision
- Stiff neck
If your child is showing signs of any of these symptoms, you should seek medical help immediately.
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED CHILD BRAIN INJURY ATTORNEY
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s brain injury case. If your child has been the victim of a traumatic brain injury, contact our offices. Our attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to one of our offices, we will send an attorney directly to you. Call us today for a free legal consultation.
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionNet to Client: $20.1 Million | Expenses: $39,576.15 | Attorney Fees: $10,060,980.00
THOMAS J. HENRY – 2013 TOP BIRTH INJURY ADVOCATESAwarded In 2013 to Thomas J. Henry by Parenting Magazine
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57