Child Bicycle Accidents
HAS YOUR CHILD BEEN INJURED IN A BICYCLE ACCIDENT?
Each year, more than 500,000 people in the US are treated in emergency departments, and more than 700 people die as a result of bicycle-related injuries. Children make up a large part of this statistic. While child bicycle accidents are devastating to parents, they are preventable. If your child has been injured in a bicycle accident, you may have a claim against the person or company who caused the injury.
FIVE ALARMING CHILD BICYCLE ACCIDENT STATISTICS
According to National Highway Transportation Safety Administration 2014 statistics:
- 726 bicyclists died on U.S. roads in 2014 – 91 were under the age of 19.
- Bicyclist deaths represented 2 percent of all 2014 traffic fatalities.
- 50,000 bicyclists were injured in traffic in 2014.
- The majority of bicycle fatalities (38%) occurred between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- 71% of all bicycle accidents occurred in urban areas.
12 COMMON BICYCLE ACCIDENT INJURIES
Injuries range in severity in a bicycle accident, and children are especially susceptible. Here are 12 common injuries that can occur in a bicycle crash:
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Internal organ damage
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
HOW TO PREVENT BICYCLE ACCIDENT INJURIES
It is extremely important that parents teach their children bicycle safety rules when they first start bicycling. While many times accidents are caused by negligent drivers, children should be aware of the hazards they face and equipped with ways to avoid them.
Following are a few rules every child should know:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Ride on sidewalks and paths especially if the child is under 10 years old.
- Bicycle on the far right-hand side of the road, in the same direction as traffic.
- Do not ride in the dark.
- Check the bicycle ties, handlebars, and brakes often.
- Do not wear loose fitting clothes that may get stuck in the bike’s chain or wheels.
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED CHILD BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
If your child was harmed after being struck by a vehicle while on his or her bicycle, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our personal injury firm has represented injured children for more than two decades, fighting for justice and for the compensation they deserve. Thomas J. Henry has the legal and financial resources needed to thoroughly pursue each and every injury case to its fullest extent. We can ensure you that your case will be handled with care and efficiency from the time of the accident to the conclusion of the case. Contact us today for a free legal consultation.