School and Playground Injuries
Representing Children Injured at School and Playgrounds
As such, we expect our child’s school to do everything in their power to keep our children safe from harm while under the school’s care.
Thomas J. Henry Law has advocated for young children injured due to the negligence of property owners for more than two decades. Our experienced child injury lawyers have handled a multitude of child injury claims, including those caused by dangerous premises.
Hazards Present in Schools and on Playgrounds
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), each year more than 200,000 people are treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms for injuries associated with playground equipment, with the majority of these injuries involving children under the age of 15 years. Oftentimes, these injuries are the direct result of poorly maintained grounds.
Data has revealed that playground-related deaths and injuries often result from:
- Impact with moving equipment
- Entrapment and contact with protrusions
- Pinch points
- Sharp edges and sharp points
School and Playground Injury Statistics
The following information was provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- About 45% of playground-related injuries are severe — fractures, internal injuries, concussions, dislocations, and amputations.
- About 75% of nonfatal injuries related to playground equipment occur on public playgrounds. Most occur at schools and daycare centers.
- Between 1990 and 2000, 147 children ages 14 and younger died from playground-related injuries. Of them, 82 (56%) died from strangulation and 31 (20%) died from falls to the playground surface. Most of these deaths (70%) occurred on home playgrounds.
- While all children who use playgrounds are at risk for injury, girls sustain injuries (55%) slightly more often than boys (45%).
- Children ages 5 to 9 have higher rates of emergency department visits for playground injuries than any other age group. Most of these injuries occur at school.
Was You Child Injured at School or a Playground? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
Thousands of children each year suffer from injuries at school and on playground equipment. Sadly, many of these accidents could have been prevented altogether if the property owners took the proper steps to ensure a safe area for children. When negligence causes your child’s injury, you may be entitled to recover damages, including medical costs, psychological trauma, or pain and suffering. If your child was injured at school or at a playground, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our child injury attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to provide you with a free legal consultation.