Program Targets Dangerous Dogs in San Antonio
Reports of dangerous dogs in San Antonio, Texas have tripled in the last year, the city’s Animal Care Services (ACS) is reporting. The city is now working on a program to better handle dangerous dogs and dog bite injuries.
San Antonio ACS Works to Find Solution
According to a recent article in the San Antonio Express News, the number of investigations which resulted in dogs being deemed dangerous rose from 10 cases in 2011 to 28 so far in 2012. ACS is working to support dog bite victims and hold the owners accountable- even hitting the streets to inform victims of their legal options.
Facts and Statistics about Dangerous Dogs
Information below provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Statistics, the U.S. Postal Service and the City of San Antonio.
- Each year, 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs.
- 800,000 of these victims seek medical attention for dog bites; half of these are children.
- Of those injured, 386,000 require treatment in an emergency department and about 16 die.
- The U.S. Postal Service ranked San Antonio sixth among the top 25 cities for dog attacks against letter carriers.
- A dangerous dog is defined as an animal that makes an unprovoked attack that causes bodily injury outside of the dog’s enclosure or owner’s property.
Requirements of Owners of Dangerous Dogs in San Antonio
- The dog must be registered with Animal Care Services (ACS).
- The dog must wear a special identification collar.
- The dog must stay in a secure enclosure.
- The dog must be muzzled when it is outside.
- The owner must purchase a $100,000 liability insurance policy.
- The owner must post a warning sign in front of the property.
- The owner must allow an annual inspection and must attend pet ownership class.
Contact an Experienced Dog Bite and Animal Attack Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your case. If you or someone you love has been the victim of a serious dog bite or animal attack injury, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57