Report- More Kids Injured by Powerful Magnets
480 Cases of Magnet Ingestion Reported
- The new data comes from a 2012 survey done by pediatric gastroenterologists in North America.
- The survey revealed that there were 480 cases of magnet ingestion in kids during the past 10 years; about 42 percent of these cases occurred during the previous 12 months.
- The increase in cases is said to be due to the availability of powerful neodymium-iron-boron magnets, which are 10 to 20 times stronger than the old magnets.
- In the past, children were able to pass traditional magnets without harm; but the new high-powered magnets can attach to each other while passing through the bowel, causing serious injuries.
Injuries from Swallowing Magnets
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), swallowing multiple high-powered magnets can cause serious and sometimes life-threatening injuries including:
- holes in the stomach and intestines
- intestinal blockage
- blood poisoning
Contact An Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57