Report- Roundup and Birth Defects
A new report titled “Roundup and Birth Defects: Is the Public Being Left in the Dark?” published in the June 2011 edition of Open Earth Source raises concerns about the safety of the world's best-selling herbicide. The report indicates the European Union (EU) Commission and German Federal Office for Consumer Protection have continually dismissed findings that Roundup and glyphosate cause birth defects. Scientists from several countries contributed to the report, which alleges:
- Industry officials (including Roundup maker, Monsanto Co.) have known since the 1980s that glyphosate causes malformations in experimental animals at high doses
- Industry officials have known since 1993 that these defects could also occur at lower and mid doses
- The German government has known since at least 1998 that glyphosate causes malformations
- The EU Commission’s expert scientific review panel knew in 1999 that glyphosate causes malformations
- The EU Commission delayed a full review of glyphosate from 2012 to 2015 after receiving data indicating Roundup and glyphosate cause birth defects
- Broad-spectrum herbicide used to kill weeds
- Made in the U.S. by Monsanto Co.
- Has been used worldwide for 30 years
- An estimated 2 billion pounds were used globally in 2007
- Glyphosate, the active ingredient, has become a subject of controversy
- Glyphosate is the most widely used herbicide in the U.S.
- Glyphosate has allegedly been found to cause miscarriages in animals
- Scientific research allegedly indicated that glyphosate causes birth defects in frog and chicken embryos
- Roundup and glyphosate also allegedly cause endocrine disruption, damage to DNA, reproductive and developmental toxicity, neurotoxicity, and cancer
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, trucking accidents, maritime accidents, and other catastrophic accidents.