Resistance Among Young Athletes to Report Concussions
FOX News reports that despite increased awareness and more urging for young athletes to report concussions, those efforts are still met with some resistance. Health advisors continue to urge young athletes to speak up about their symptoms, claiming concussions are more serious than people may realize.
Statistics of Concussions in Youth Sports
- The age demographic is for athletes between the ages of 5 and 21.
- According to another report, U.S. hospitals treated 250,000 youths for sports-related concussions or other head injuries in 2009; this is up from 150,000 in 2001.
- Many more possible concussions go undiagnosed.
- Young female athletes are shown to have a higher rate of concussions than young male athletes.
- Male athletes in high school and college report concussions in high rates from playing football, ice hockey, lacrosse, wrestling, and soccer; for female athletes, it’s in soccer, lacrosse, basketball, and ice hockey.
- Many young athletes who have suffered concussions say they do not report their symptoms because they don’t want to be kept from playing their sport.
Symptoms of Concussions
- Concussions are a mild form of traumatic brain injury.
- They can cause memory loss, confusion, headaches, sensitivity to light, changes in mood, and there is a possible link to mental illness.
- Although protective gear, such as helmets, face masks, and mouth guards can protect against things like skull fractures and face injuries, it is unclear if they can actually help prevent concussions.
Contact an Experienced Child Sports Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious sports injury, contact our offices. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57