Retailers Recall Nap Nanny after 5 Infant Deaths
Four major U.S. retailers (Amazon.com, Toys R Us/Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby and Diapers.com) have voluntarily recalled “Nap Nanny” baby recliners after five infant deaths were linked to the defective product.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the retailers are collectively recalling the product because the manufacturer, Baby Matters, is “unable or unwilling to participate in the recall.”
Nap Nanny has Deadly Design Defects
- CPSC is warning parents and caregivers that Nap Nanny baby recliners “contain defects in the design, warnings and instructions, which pose a substantial risk of injury and death to infants.”
- The baby recliners were first recalled in 2010 after reports of one death and 22 incidents of infants hanging or falling out over the side of the Nap Nanny, despite being placed in the harness.
- Since the 2010 recall, CPSC received an additional 70 reports of children nearly falling out of the product as well as four additional reports of child deaths.
More than 150,000 Nap Nanny Products Recalled
- Major retailers are recalling more than 150,000 Nap Nanny baby recliners.
- The Nap Nanny is a portable infant recliner designed for sleeping, resting and playing.
- The recliner includes a bucket seat shaped foam base and a fitted fabric cover with a three point harness.
- This recall includes the Nap Nanny Generations One and Two, and the Chill model infant recliners.
- The recalled Nap Nanny recliners were sold at toy and children's retail stores nationwide and online, and at www.napnanny.com.
- The Nap Nanny recliners cost around $130.
Contact an Experienced Child Safety Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in both product liability litigation and child injury. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury due to a recalled product, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends, and we represent clients/victims all over the country.