Risks of Long-Term Hormone Therapy Reaffirmed
A recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association recommends that hormone therapy should not be used for disease prevention due to health risks associated with the treatment.
About the Hormone Therapy Study
- According to Reuters, the study analyzed 27,347 U.S. Women who were involved in an extended clinical trial conducted by the Women’s Health Institute.
- The women received hormone treatment for roughly 7 years before treatment was ended due to concerns of increased risk of ovarian cancer, breast cancer, strokes and other health problems potentially leading to death.
- The women continued to be followed until 2010. The most recent study reviewed data collected during the women’s treatment and after to determine how the risk responded post treatment.
Findings of the Hormone Therapy Study
“The findings suggest that hormone therapy is a reasonable option for short-term treatment of menopausal symptoms in early menopause, but should not be used for long-term chronic disease prevention.” – Dr. JoAnn Manson, study’s lead author as published by Reuters
- The review of the Women’s Health Institutes clinical trials by the JAMA study confirmed findings that long-term hormone therapy does increase a woman’s chance of developing certain types of cancer and other health problems.
- The analysis also found that serious health risk that increased while the women were taking hormone pills fell once treatment was discontinued.
- As such, the researchers have concluded that hormone therapy is still safe for short-term use, but doctors should no longer rely on the treatment to prevent health issues like dementia and heart disease.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or medical devices, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.