Runners and Cyclists Push for Harsher Punishments for Hit and Runs
This group was formed by Cecil Johnson through Facebook in response to a string to hit and run accidents along Ocean Drive.
About Corpus Christi Hit and Runs
- KIII News reported that according to police there were approximately 1,000 hit and run incidents last year alone.
- Of those, 100 involved a pedestrian or bicyclist, leaving 14 dead.
- The most recent incident was that of Joshua Newton who was running on Ocean Dr. with his girlfriend following on her bike. According to Newton, he heard the vehicle speed up before it hit him.
- Johnson states argues that many of these incidents have occurred due to distracted drivers not paying attention to the road.
- According to National Highway Transportation Administration, distracted driving (specifically texting) is about 6 times more likely to cause an accident than driving intoxicated.
Facts About Pedestrian and Bicycling Accidents
Provided by Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center.
- In 2011, automobile accidents involving bicycles killed 677 people and injured 38,000.
- Pedestrian accidents resulted in 4,280 deaths and 70,000 injuries in 2010.
- This is roughly 1 death every two hours, and 1 injury every 8 minutes.
- 11,000 of those injured were under 14-years-old.
- Texas is ranked as the third most deadly state for pedestrians with over 300 deaths a year.
- Houston is currently ranked the 8th most deadly city for pedestrians in the nation.
- About 20 percent of pedestrian/bicycling accidents are hit and runs.
- In pedestrian accidents involving children, 13 percent are hit and runs.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians and Bicyclists
- Wear reflective clothing when running/bicycling at night.
- Carry a light source or have one attached to your bike to increase visibility.
- When possible, use a cross walk.
- When walking on a street with no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- When bicylcing, always were a helmet and protective gear.
- Bicyclists are considered to be operating a vehicle and should follow the same rules as a motorist (signaling, obeying traffic signs, being aware of pedestrians).
- Keep in bike lanes when available.
Contact an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney
No one should have to suffer because of someone else's mistake or negligence. Whether your injury was caused by a drunk driver, reckless or negligent driving, or even intentional misconduct, our aggressive and persistent pressure on the driver will give us the information we need to win your case.
At Thomas J. Henry, we dedicate our time and knowledge to your needs. With over 20 years of experience, we have shown each of our clients that we are committed to getting results. Our attorneys are available 24/7 nights and weekends in order to be there when you need us. Choose an attorney who is aggressive, dedicated, and experienced. Contact Thomas J. Henry today. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million