Safety 1st Toilet and Cabinet Locks Recalled
Dorel Juvenile Group (DJG) is recalling its Safety 1st Toilet and Cabinet locks due to a high failure rate. 183,000 toilet locks and 685,000 cabinet locks have been affected by the recall.
“Young children can unexpectedly disengage the toilet locks and gain access to water in the toilet, posing the risk of drowning. The cabinet locks are being recalled because young children can disengage the lock, posing the risk of injury from dangerous or unsafe items stored in the cabinet,” Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Incidents and Injuries Reported
- DJG has received 110 reports of toilet locks that did not adequately secure the lid, including eight reports of children, under the age of two, who were able to disengage or break the lock.
- DJG has received 278 reports of cabinet locks that did not adequately secure the cabinet, including 71 reports of children between the ages of eight months and five years old who were able to disengage the cabinet locks.
- In one of the reported incidents, a 13-month-old boy swallowed small, toxic beads from a craft kit and was hospitalized as a result.
Safety 1st Recall Information
- Toilet locks fail to keep children from accessing toilet water. Access to toilet water could result in drowning.
- Cabinet locks also fail to keep children from accessing hazardous material stored in the cabinet.
- Locks were sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Burlington Coat Factory; Great Beginnings; Home Depot; Target; Walmart from January 2005-April 2010 and on Amazon.com through April 2012.
- Recall includes cabinet locks with model numbers 12013 and 12014 and toilet locks with model numbers 48003 and 48103.
Contact an Experienced Child Safety Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in both product liability litigation and child injury. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury due to a recalled product, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57