Salmonella Outbreak Prompts Recall of The Cultured Kitchen’s Cheese Products
The California Health Department (CDPH) has warned people not to consume any flavors of the cashew cheese products manufactured by the The Cultured Kitchen. All cheese products with an expiration date on or before April 19, 2014 have been voluntarily recalled due to the risk of being contaminated with Salmonella.
In their recall notice the company lists the location where the cashews are sourced in Southeast Asia as the potential root of the outbreak, as the strain is found almost exclusively there.
About the California Cheese Recall
According to the CDPH, the cashews used in the products are contaminated and pose a risk of Salmonella.
So far 15 cases have been reported in the Western United States, twelve of those being in California.
Of the aforementioned cases, three have led to hospitalizations and none have resulted in death.
Matt Conens, a CDPH spokesman, told the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy News Today (CIDRAP) that the outbreak is Salmonella Stanley 1312CAJNG-1 and that the department hasn't received any new illness reports.
The CDPH urges consumers who still have the product in their home to discard them immediately, or return them for a full refund.
Description of the Recalled Culture Kitchen's Cashew Cheese
- Photos of the products can be found here.
- Products were manufactured by The Cultured Kitchen, a company based in West Sacramento, California.
- Products were sold at natural food stores throughout northern California and northern Nevada.
- Most people infected with Salmonella recover within a week. Infants, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems run the highest risk of severe illness.
- According to the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 42,000 cases of salmonellosis are reported every year resulting in roughly 400 deaths.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of recalled foods or supplements, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.