Seattle Man Pleads Guilty to DWI Accident that Killed Two
According to the Seatle Post-Intelligencer, a Seattle motorist faces 18 years in prison after pleading guilty to a drunk driving accident that killed two and also seriously injured a mother and her 10-day-old baby.
Details of the Seattle Drunk Driving Accident
- Mark Mullen, 50, was arrested immediately following a March 25 pedestrian accident in which Mr. Mullen drove into four family members as they crossed the street.
- Judy and Dennis Shulte were hit directly by the vehicle resulting in both their deaths.
- Mrs. Shulte, 68, was thrown 70 feet due to the impact while Mr. Shulte, 66, was crushed under the vehicle.
- The couple’s daughter-in-law, Karina Ulriksen-Shulte, was almost out of the street when she turned to aid the couple before they were struck, resulting in her suffering serious injuries along with her 10-day-old son.
- As a result of neck injuries sustained in the accident, Mrs. Ulriksen-Shulte, 34, has since suffered a stroke. Her son has received surgery for skull injuries and is scheduled for another in January.
Repeat DWI Offender Pleads Guilty
- Upon investigating the accident, police determined that Mr. Mullen’s had a blood alcohol level of .22, nearly three times the legal limit.
- Further, Mr. Mullen was already facing drunk driving charges in Snohomish County and had been recently convicted of DUI in Seattle.
- Mr. Mullen’s license had also been suspended pending the installation of an ignition interlock device to prevent the car from starting should Mr. Mullen be intoxicated.
- Mr. Mullen pleaded guilty to two counts of vehicular homicide and vehicular assault, all of which carry an additional two years due to the DUI.
- With sentencing scheduled for November, Mr. Mullen faces up to 18 years in prison.
Drunk Driving Statistics
- According to MADD, 27 people die every day due to drunk driving.
- In 2011, 226 children died in drunk driving accidents.
- Since October 1, 2012, San Antonio, Texas has seen 7,186 DWI arrest, 33 intoxication assault arrests, and 15 intoxication manslaughter arrests according to the Bexar County District Attorney’s Office.
Contact an Experienced DUI/DWI Accident Attorney
If you suspect you have been injured because of a drunk driver, contact an attorney with the experience and aggressiveness to handle your case. Contact Thomas J. Henry. We will ensure that you get the full monetary compensation you deserve. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends and we represent clients/victims all over the country.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million